Saturday, August 11, 2018

The wrong gun in the wrong hands


When new in Canada, with very little money we camped a lot.

This is when I had my first view of the so reprehensible gun culture of USA. When buying fuel in a hardware store in Vermont, we talked to another young couple. Their little their baby was in a carriage.
Vermont didn't, then as now, have any restrictions on who could buy a gun. 

The young man insisted on buying his girlfriend, the mother of the baby, a present, a gun. She wasn’t very keen on that, we gathered.
“It is good protection for you, there are so many bears here.”
They ended up buying a nine-millimetre pistol, obviously totally useless against a bear. They left, with a holster containing a loaded gun strapped to the side of the baby carriage.
I asked the young lady,
“Have you ever shot a gun before?”
“No, never, but I guess I just lift it and squeeze the trigger.”
So much for a gun in the wrong hands, and for the wrong reason.

---------------------
If you want to read my memors, "The seasons of Man", buy the book here:


No comments:

Post a Comment